Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Pass the Mirc

Big news. Probably the biggest news since we discovered the existence of Sunfly.

Last night, in an archive of karaoke files I downloaded, I found a folder with information about #karaoke-cdg, an IRC channel. After a few hours getting myself set up, I now have access to a library of karaoke files much larger than I ever thought possible. If you've ever downloaded a Sunfly archive from eMule, you'll know who Deckens is. If not, he's basically the godfather of cdg files. On #karaoke-cdg, it's me, Deckens, and like 17 other users sharing pretty much every karaoke file ever made. Here I was, thinking I had a pretty good collection. Turns out I'm still a total noob. Downloads on IRC are much faster than peer to peer programs like eMule. The only real drawback is the queue limits. Probably the strategy I'll adopt is to use IRC as a reference for what's available, but still try to download a lot of stuff through eMule.

Time to buy a new hard drive.

2 Comments:

Blogger yankamerica said...

What a coup! Any particular highlights -- artists whose works had previously been unavailable or exciting new individual songs?

And, more importantly, did you actually talk to Deckens???

9:15 PM  
Blogger Joneseee said...

I haven't talked directly to Deckens yet, but it would be very easy to. He was talking to some other people in the room. Oh, and there's a web-based jukebox you can listen to that has audio tracks of people from the chat room singing karaoke songs, and Deckens was on the list.

I don't even know where to begin on highlights of what's available. Perhaps the best way to describe it is that it rounds out the collection to include anything you'd ever see at any karaoke bar. Or, whereas yesterday afternoon, I was worried I wouldn't be able to find Cracklin' Rose, today I could get it in like 3 minutes if I didn't already have it.

But I think there's probably a lot of other stuff out there that you wouldn't typically see at a karaoke bar. Like more obscure songs from popular artists.

Unfortunately, if you search for something indie, along the lines of "Built To Spill" or whatever, you still come up empty. And there are still only three "Snow Patrol" songs (though hopefully the new album will change that).

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home